Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The quickest way to lose someone's attention

There is an abandoned gas station next door to the building that I work in, and it has been where many employees, including myself, have parked. Today a crew came out to remove the tanks from the ground in order to prepare the space for another purpose.

This afternoon we were marveling at the size of the tank that came out of the ground (as big as a tractor-trailer) and one of my co-workers commented on how rusty it was, saying it looked like "it's about to rust right through."

Upon this comment I casually explained to him that it was not the actual material the tank was comprised of that was rusting, rather the oxidation that we saw was actually a sacrificial anode coating the tank to prevent the tank from "rusting through" while it was buried in the damp earth.

As soon as I started talking I lost my audience. I could see in their glassed over eyes a look of impatience that told me that all they wanted in the world was for me to stop talking. A few backwards steps were taken. When I finally finished speaking, there were crickets. After an awkward pause, everyone walked away.



I guess I need to take "strong interpersonal skills" off of my resume.

1 comment:

joesus said...

i can't help but wondering whether your knowledge about sacrifical anodes has something to do with the fact that they're "metalic"